|Requirements||First Response Certificate|
|Who needs this certificate|
- All adults in scouting holding a Leader, Manager or Supporter appointment.
- The First Response Certificate is designed specifically for adults in The Scout Association and Girlguiding, based on the situations and issues that occur within those roles. It is not, therefore, externally recognised.
- Certificate must be valid when Wood Badge is issued and appointment renewed.
The course will cover:
- Principles of first aid and initial response (arriving and managing an incident)
- Initial response to a first aid situation
- Management of an unconscious casualty (child or adult)
- CPR, including technique for children and an explanation of what AED is and how to use it
- Causes and treatment of unconsciousness
- Heat exhaustion, heatstroke, dehydration and hypothermia
- Burns and scalds
- Fractures (ambulance imminent and non-imminent) and soft tissue injuries
- Minor injuries (for example cuts, grazes and nose bleeds)
- Anaphylaxis (use of Epi pen)
- Spinal injury
Attending this course will validate module 10 of the Adult Training Scheme and the certificate lasts 3 years.
It costs £10 to attend the course - payable before or on the day (cheques made payable to "Swindon North Scouts").
No payment = no certificate of attendance = no validation. Fee covers course materials and First Response book. Your group will be billed if you do not attend or you cancel your place within less than 48 hours of the course commencing.
As there is a high demand for First Response courses locally priority is given to sectional leaders and managers over supporters. This course is for adults only. Young Leaders First Aid will be running later on in the year. Please contact the DESC for more information.
The course will be held at 1st West Swindon Scout Hut, Bodiam Drive, Toothill, Swindon SN5 8BE
No uniform is needed. Bring a packed lunch for the day.
No spaces left.
Course trainer is: Chris Flatt - contact him if you have any queries regarding this training.